Monday, August 2, 2010

Zucchini Relish


So far this year I am way, way behind. I missed strawberry season so there is no strawberry jam and no strawberries in the freezer. I had good intentions mind you. I simply ran out of time.

I did get six jars made of rhubarb jam, but if you give lots of things away, six jars of jam won't get you far.

Last summer I didn't make any jam, but the previous year's jam 2008 lasted us until this February.

We are on our last jar of zucchini relish. It is pretty delicious stuff and according to my son, store bought will not do - so it is homemade or nothing.
Since I had some friends who had zucchini to give away, I decided now was the time to make relish. Normally, it is best to wait a few more weeks until peppers are available, but this time I bought some peppers at the store.


With helpers like these, there isn't much for me to do.

Yesterday, my kids helped me start the zucchini relish. For a good zucchini relish, you must soak in a salt water brine over night.

Today we will finish by squeezing out the juice, adding the seasonings and vinegar and process. I will post pictures later.

~~~Update - I promised a finished picture ~~~~.


~~~~Recipe~~~
After several requests - here is the recipe.  I admit I didn't create it. But, it is the yummiest relish I have tried. If you try it and like it, let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment