Sunday, August 1, 2010

Terms of Reference

I meant to post this yesterday, but I was so busy I didn't have time. Details in the next post.

Okay, my big plans yesterday need firming up and fleshing out.

I obviously will have to give up a few things, and there will be others I can't find and I will need to make a decision.

Everything I will buy will be from Canada; most, but not all, will be local. There isn't that much that I will need from further than our borders of Southern Ontario (seen any Goderich salt lately?)

Here are some examples of this "fleshing out" below.

Foods that are totally off the list:
bananas (don't really eat those anyway)
citrus Fruit (aakk! I will miss my iced tea & lemonade!)
rice, quinoa, etc.
olives

chocolate
alcoholic beverages
( I don't drink wine so I am SOL!)
most processed or packaged foods that I can't identify the origin fully (example would be cottage industry jams, syrups, sauces, name brand smoked meats)



Exceptions:
coffee
tea
spices - ex. cinnamon, pepper, turmeric, pickling salt etc. <--mostly these will be used for canning sugar for canning
occasional dining out (we can't verify every single ingredient is local even if they try to be mainly local )
whatever is already in my pantry! (no, I didn't run out the day before yesterday and stock up)

Okay, am I a hypocrite? Not really. I never said I was perfect! Coffee and tea are clearly not foods. :) They are definately extras and they are extras that I will allow myself this time, though I am aware that I don't need them.

I will let you know how I make out. This is a challenge, so there will be issues. Especially for canning where it is so cost prohibitive to make jam from honey or maple syrup. My promise to myself is local first, then Ontario, then Canada.

I noticed yesterday onions are hard to come by in large quantities from Canada because it is still early. I mean the cooking kind such as one might use for making relish.

More on that next post.

4 comments:

  1. Would this include locally brewed alcoholic beverages from microbrewerys? We have several within our local area that make the beer/cider on site that I think should/could be included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But where do their raw ingredients come from? That is the question....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good challenge ! Weekly budget? Are you feeding the family or just yourself? If the family you don't say what the kids will be drinking.... just wondering...the relish looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids generally drink water and milk - however I sometimes make them iced tea and lemonade for a treat. I think both these are out unless I can find a way to make iced tea great (since I allowed myself tea) without lemon. Raspberries are nice in iced tea, but they aren't very affordable now that most of them are done!

    ReplyDelete