Saturday, July 9, 2011

Trade Secrets - Part I

Okay, you know how it is. People think you are amazing, you can do something and you get oos and ahhs. But truthfully, the "thing" that is getting the attention is really some simple, quick and easy secret that part of you is reluctant to tell. The other part of you wants to share how easy it is so everyone can enjoy.

I have a few of these. Things we make that get rave reviews, compliments and a bit of hero-worship when all the while it is a cinch.

Here is part one of a series of easy little projects that I have been holding back in the sharing department. Some of what I have been making and sharing on this blog is relatively easy, but a bit time consuming. This series is different.

TRADE SECRET PART ONE - Homemade Iced Cap (first method)

If you live in Canada, like me, you have probably been to Tim Hortons - you may even go daily. If you are from the US, in the northern States, you may have a Tim Hortons as well. In Canada, Tim Hortons is an ICON, even more so than Starbucks in the US. (Note, if you are from Vancouver I well understand you may have a love affair with Starbucks which rivals both that of the US and Canadians for Tim Hortons).

Canadians LOVE coffee. I read somewhere that per capita, we drink more coffee than any place in the world. Probably has something to do with Tim Hortons, our weather and availability of good quality coffees since coffee was imported.  However, a new rival has taken over - the Iced Cap. I know people who are drinking several of these a day during the warmer months. Scary actually.

If you are not familiar with the Iced Cap, it is an "iced cappuccino" made with shaved ice - like a slushy. I want to be clear here, there is no real espresso in this baby. It is made with a coffee "syrup", milk or cream and shaved ice. There are newer options, such as flavouring, whipped topping etc.  I admit to liking these myself. So much so, that I decided to try to make these at home.

Why make homemade iced caps? For a number of reasons:

  1. cheaper -  an iced cap isn't expensive, but a small is over $2 each and they can really add up
  2. faster - I don't even need to go out
  3. made with less fat and sugar - less calories
  4. saves plastic - they won't even make an Ice Cap in your cup - they will tell you then can't or make it in a plastic cup, pour it into your reusable cup and throw the disposable one away (either in front of you or where you can't see - this has happened to me several times)
  5. you know what is actually in it
  6. you can eveb make it Fair Trade if you wish to
Delicious Homemade Chocolate Iced Cap - in less than 5 mins!

A while ago we bought ourselves the groovy reusable cups (above), but we have been making homemade iced caps for several years in whatever was available. The only tool you absolutely need is a blender - we have an old-ish one that does a really great job of crushing / shaving ice and has a metal attachment. Don't worry though, the glass containers work fine as well.  The following is instructions which will make one HUGE iced cap or two small ones. Adjust to your glass size as you get used to making these.


Recipe for two:
  • Ice cubes
  • 2 rounded tsp of cocoa
  • 2 rounded tsp of instant coffee
  • 2-6 rounded tsp of sugar
  • 1- 2 cups of milk (depends on how thick you like it  - I used about 1 1/2 cups here)
If you prefer not adding chocolate - feel free to leave it out! 



I use instant coffee for this version, unsweetened cocoa, white sugar and 1% milk. You can also use cream, chocolate milk (instead of milk and cocoa - but my way is cheaper and more chocolaty) etc. In another version, I will show using real espresso. This version is still yummy, cheap and fast.

 I start with about an ice cube tray's worth of ice. We have an ice maker now on our fridge, but we used to keep a couple of extra ice cube trays just for making iced caps. Here I have used about 14 ice cubes. One thing I have learned is if you try to do too much at once, it will not work.



                                                  I pulse for one second intervals - 5-10 times. 


 This is what you will get - some crushing, with some large chunks still present. Then I turn to low speed for about 10 seconds.

   Each machine will be different, but in mine, the ice is completely crushed / shaved like snow at this point. You may need to blend a little longer  - just wait for the "quiet" as the ice becomes blended. You can pretty much hear when it is ready because the chunks of ice are a little on the loud side. When they are gone, it is quieter and ready for the next step. 

Now I scrap down the sides (usually with a spatula but it was in the dishwasher so I used a spoon)

  
 This is when I add the cocoa, instant coffee, sugar and milk. Do this to your own taste. I like mine a little on the bitter side so I don't like a lot of sugar. You absolutely do NOT need to dissolve the instant coffee and sugar in boiling water or anything. I will just mix in perfectly.

Blend for about 10 seconds for this.

Blend for another 10 seconds and it is done
      





Pour into whatever groovy cups you have available and voila!

  I am revising my original post to add that after drinking my own version for so long, when I have been out driving somewhere, got hot and went to Tim Horton's, I was pretty disappointed. Our homemade iced caps taste a lot richer and more coffee-like than Timmies which I also found to be too sweet.  Because you are able to customize these to your liking, you can easily make them sweeter and milder or however you wish. Add vanilla, spices - whatever strikes our fancy!

 In a subsequent post I will show another version using espresso via the following:

3 comments:

  1. This will be perfect for me because we find Tim Hortons way way too sweet! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to ask, where did you find the reusable cups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got the cups at Home Sense. Just happened to be in there for something else and they were just a great, random find! Everyone used to bring an iced cap up to soccer and we wanted to, too, but we didn't like the garbage and as you noticed too - we felt they were too sweet!

    ReplyDelete