Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Little Baby Gifts

I am not much of a knitter. I only remember finishing one needle knit project in my life which was a scarf from a kit my son got for Christmas. He got bored knitting after a few rows, so I finished it for him.

All that stated - I love knitting on the knifty knitter. I would say that perhaps I am addicted to loom knitting and I would love to start knitting socks.
I made this little hat for my new niece Evangeline. She is nearly one month and to be honest, this hat JUST fits. She will likely wear it a month and that's it.  So, truly it is a newborn hat.  I used the Knifty Knitter red loom, two strands of worsted weight 100% wool.  I based it on combining a pattern for a gorgeous needle knit berry hat and an apple hat pattern with a standard Knifty Knitter hat.  I used a 1 over 2 stitch in an e-wrap. The sizing it important because I have read the smallest loom is for newborn hats, but I can attest this will not work as this is what I use for mittens. Also, the red loom is written to be for children 2-5. Wrong again. Firstly children 1 and up have big heads - babies' heads double in size the first year.  I have used the green loom for children 2 and up quite easily. 

I apologise for the strange background for the hat. I snapped this before popping it into the bag and arriving at our Thanksgiving destination.

5 comments:

  1. This is a really cute hat! How creative to combine the patterns to come up with this. Thanks for sharing your project with us..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the blue loom is for small bags, doll hats and mittens and slipper socks. The next size is for newborns and infants and the third size is for small children. It also depends on the stitch used. The e-wrap single strand will be bigger and very loose stitching and open like lace and the true knit stitch and flat stitch will be much smaller but look like needle knit. The two over one or one over two stitch you used is in the middle of these two techniques.
    Your berry hat turned out very cute. I have to make a baby hat today too.
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments. I plan on making another one for a baby on the way. May tweak my pattern just a little bit though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The vine on top is an i-cord (see i-cord videos for looming on youtube) that I created long enough to tie in a knot.

    ReplyDelete