Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Funny Little Projects and UFO's

I have always wanted to make doll clothes and accessories. I am even more interested in doll-making -even though my Mother in Law warned me that sewing doll things isn't that fun (especially for Barbie).

The problems is I haven't really had much of a chance to sew doll stuff. Yes, I have two daughters, but neither one of them have been too interested in dolls. This is a bit strange too, for Allison, since she is especially "girly".

For one of my sons I made a doll diaper (it had trucks on it), a sleeper and a fleece sweater for when he was expecting a new baby sibling (he was a preschooler then). He played with the doll as we prepared for the new baby. I thought it would be a good transition for him. He did outgrow it though. By school age the doll was history.

 I made this pattern ~ Butterick 4027 (out of print)
It turned out okay. Nothing spectacular - but I never really found out if the child enjoyed it - it was made for a gift. I never saw anyone playing with it. If memory serves me, I chose to make a backpack with a changing pad attached, like a diaper bag, rather than the case.  I don't think I made two dolls either.

However, that was years ago - at least 9. I can barely remember the whole thing. What does remind me once in awhile is when I open up my sewing supplies and start going through them. There is the doll pattern piece from the above pinned to a flesh-coloured bit of broadcloth - must have been waiting since way back when I intended to make a similar set for someone or other. This leads me to my next issue. UFO's (unfinished objects). My stash is full of 'um. 

For example:

 I have a bag with cut out pieces for a couple of puppets from yet another out-of-print pattern. 
 

Since I started it, Kwik Sew came out with a newer, pretty pattern. Which I just had to have. Unfortunately, my kids are almost too old for puppets.


I have plenty of other UFO's kicking around in boxes and bags. Among these include:
1. Baby Quilt - my granddaughter is now 3! - needs only one side of binding finished :(
2. Queen Sized bed quilt - for my bed - squares are pieced (simple star) but not put together into a quilt top
3. McCall Blouse with flounce neckline and bell sleeves (also out of print) - only cut out, nothing is together!
4. Pirate Ship fort - ties onto bunk bed to make lower part the fort (needs ties, more decorations)
5. Kwik Sew Skirt for me (needs hemmed)
6. Loomed shawl/scarf - for me (needs to be about 2' longer!)
7. Loomed dish towel  - for someone (needs a few more inches)

and the worst of all....

8. Log Cabin quilt for my son (now 10!) for his crib/toddler bed. 

This one warrants an explanation. It is large enough to TUCK in on a toddler bed. The top is done - but I got stuck on the actual quilting part. I tried machine quilting it (free motion) and it didn't move very well under the foot so that the stitches are really small. Nearly impossible to pull out. I recently found and rescued this - I worked on stitch ripping for awhile, but there is so much more to go. I have the chance now to give it to my granddaughter who will be born in February. 

No kidding. It is completely true. A number of projects above need about 30 minutes of time and attention. Some need hours. This isn't a complete list  - I have no idea what is all there really. Especially when you consider all the fabric and patterns I have that aren't cut. 

Despite what it looks like - I do finish projects too. Plenty. But it appears I also have a short attention span. It something takes too long, or there is too long between working sessions on a project, I lose momentum. 

Back to the FUNNY LITTLE PROJECTS. My newest are these little doll diapers:


I think dolls can be great, but I am not a fan of dolls that DO things. Or take batteries. However, for Christmas my granddaughter got a Baby Alive.  Baby Alive isn't new - I remember Baby Alive when I was a kid.  Baby Alive now days not only drinks, eats, wets but it takes batteries. But that isn't the best part. Baby Alive disposable diapers cost $10 for 6!!!!!

That is not a misprint. My granddaughter and daughter played with this doll on Christmas and they used 2.  Now, I am pretty sure that if they are only wet, you can hang them up to dry and reuse them (at least a few times). However at some point they will need replaced, so I decided to make some out of cloth scraps by stretching out and tracing one of the wet diapers (after drying out of course). Since I made lots of real cloth diapers, I used familiar methods. The blue and yellow ones are exactly the same size as the original disposable diaper. The two white prints I shaped a bit by rounding out the corners and bound with white fold-over elastic. All of these should be functional and have soakers since Baby Alive wets. If you are thinking of making diapers for a regular doll (that doesn't wet) they you can skip that part. I hope Baby Alive doesn't we SO much that a waterproof cover is needed, but if so, I could make a couple of those too. If you plan on making a diaper for a Baby Alive doll and you aren't planning on taking any chances, you could make an "AIO" (All in One) style diaper right off the bat. This would just require a waterproof layer for the outside, such as rain coat fabric or PUL (polyurethane-laminate used in covers diaper covers) Better yet, make a cover out of a scratchy unused wool sweater - add lanolin and your done! I am sure the doll won't  mind.



These pictures are deceiving - I should have put my hand in there or another object for comparison as these diapers are only about 4" wide. 


Anyway, it is nice to finish funny little projects. UFO's are a pain in my butt.








No comments:

Post a Comment