Friday, September 3, 2010

Update on buying challenge

Unfortunately, the challenge was, and is, much more difficult than I realised. But my reasons are not because I missed pineapples or couscous. The reason is because I actually don't do all the shopping, and perhaps I don't even do most - that in itself causes a lot of difficulty in sticking to a local first, then Canadian shopping list.

Some things my family have been eating this summer and haven't given up:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Candy (especially chocolate)
- Packaged foods (crackers, cookies,l granola bars - while most of these are made nearby I can't be sure of the origin of most ingredients such as wheat, corn)
- Bananas
- Olives

One thing we always have on hand because of the the Fritter business is lemon juice be cut apples from browning. We also have white sugar for making fritters as well. I can't do much about these things and having them nearby makes me inclined to use them. Something I need to work on.

For my next phase I will be stepping up the amount of shopping I do. I also am promising myself to go back to making only homemade granola and granola bars, crackers and other snacks. In order to take the pressure off DH when we have special days out (picnics), lunches etc. because I think much of the time he buys these things when I haven't had time to make homemade goodies. I also promise to cook more than I have been.

Granola Bars I make for kids lunches from a modified version of Granola Bars III from Allrecipes.com. I have reduced the sugar to a half a cup, substituted maple syrup for honey and upped it to a full cup. This makes them less sweet and more chewy. No nuts since the kids can't have them at school. I will not be putting in the chocolate in for awhile, but I will put in dried berries.


Here is a recipe for cheese crackers I tried today, which will save DH from buying boxes of goldfish or other junkie crackers. They were completely delicious and took much less time than making cookies. They literally take about 10 minutes to make plus some time in the fridge. I added some mustard seed (crushed in my mortar and pestle) for extra zip.

We don't drink pop normally, however DH buys Jones Cola's for a special treat. I admit to have a few of these when we were on holidays camping on Pelee Island. Normally, for birthdays and parties in general I will make iced tea - I will continue doing this because I think the little bit of lemon I add is much better than pop full of white sugar. (Jones at least are made with organic cane sugar - but cane sugar nonetheless).

No comments:

Post a Comment