Sunday, October 31, 2010

Too Late for Hints

Too late for hints because I didn't get around to posting about my secret sewing projects. So much went on this week, papers, a conference, municipal election....

Here is what I was working on:
Miss Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy - or an approximate






They aren't perfectly period I admit, however I am wearing a period stay under my dress and chemise. We had a hard time getting a pattern in time for Mr. Darcy's frock coat, so we had to make due with a later style coat, but I think we pulled it off reasonably well.  I managed to get some drapey 70% wool at Len's Mill in Guelph in a midnight blue. We were going to heighten Mr. Darcy's hat as well, to be more "Regency" but we ran out of time.

We attended a Halloween dance, and I will tell you my dress hem was quite stained with beer and dirt from the floor by the end of the night. We had fun though - a great night.

Here you can better see the lovely embroidered fabric. I was given this fabric a few years ago (left over from someones bridal gown I think - came from a bridal-wear seamstress) and the moment I saw it I thought of this gown. For the lining I used an inexpensive cotton muslin. It has good body and you just can't beat $4 metre.

No comments:

Post a Comment